Solar car team DJS Helios have had a meteoric rise to success. Last year (2017) they took part in their first ever competition – Electric Solar Vehicle Challenge 17 …so far this year they have won both competitions they entered!
Their vehicle is powered by a 2kW motor and can reach speeds of over 55kmh. Very impressive – yet winning the competition demands more than just a great turn of speed. Entrants have to demonstrate their vehicle performing a number of demanding tasks …and also show how they have developed design and commercial skills, as a team:
- Brake and acceleration – accelerate for 50m, then stop within 5m.
- Cross pad test – negotiate a slalom course, keeping in lane, against the clock.
- Hill Climb – inclined road, fastest to the top.
- Solar Only – disconnect the battery, then complete 50m powered by the sun.
- Endurance – how far can you travel in 90 minutes?
- Design and Innovation – each car is evaluated on its merits
- Business Plan – Is the vehicle commercially viable?
- Weight test – lightest vehicle gets maximum points…
Winning three categories (Acceleration, Hill Climb, Business Plan) – DJS Helios came second in all other categories, with a third place in Design. Their consistently high-achievement easily won the competition for them – outstripping the runner-up by 150 points.
The second competition Indo-Asian Challenge 18 runs – not on a course, but on actual roads. In this event the team came either first or second in five categories. A major highlight of the event was the team’s ability to travel 94km in 2 hours. Great!
On behalf of the team, Pranay Shah, who is their Captain wishes to thank Victron for our sponsorship – and, using his entrepreneurial skills, has gone to some length to promote Victron Energy as a brand – thank you Pranay! We wish you and your team continued success.